Ludum Dare 44: Post Mortem

Another Ludum Dare completed (my ninth!). This one was my toughest one yet for me. Lots of highs, lows, frustration, failures, and success. All of this, and more, will be discussed as I detail the development of my entry, The Wizard of Worth.

Day 1

I had a hard time with this theme. In the days before theme selection, I looked at the possible candidates and wrote down some ideas for each one… except this one. Of course, “Your Life Is Currency” was selected and I spent almost 3 hours thinking of an idea.

Once I got a working idea (my son helped with some suggestions), I decided to create some graphics first, which is something I normally do not do. I knew I had to create graphics at some point, and I wanted to give Aseprite a shot to see if I can handle it.

At this point, its about 2:00am, five hours into the Compo, so I decided to call it a night. At the end of Day 1, I had some graphics created, and a basic game where the enemies chase down the player.

Day 2

I got about 5 hours of sleep, got up, and went back to work. I added some particles, a coin retrieval system, and a player shooting system. After a few rounds of playing this game, I came to the conclusion that its terrible! So discouraging.

I had about 10 hours of solid development time and the game was horrible. I took a couple of breaks during the day and came back to tweak and add/change features, and every time I played my game, I hated it more. No matter what I tried, it was just not fun, and I was so discouraged that I decided to take an extended break.

Day 3

I said I was taking an extended break… how about a 24 hour break? That’s what I did. During that time, I thought about whether I should continue, give up completely, or start with a new idea. After speaking with my wife and son, I got some pretty decent ideas on how to improve the game, and that started the drive to finish and submit this game.

I wanted to add a lot of things… more minions to chase you, different types of minions, multiple weapon types, and more. The problem is that it is now very late on Sunday, and I only have a few hours left.

I improved the player shooting (shooting towards the mouse pointer), added a back-story, sound effects, some additional graphics, and the title and game over screens, and submitted later than usual, but before the deadline. These changes really improved the game, and its much more fun to play.

What Went Well

  • Despite the ups and downs during the event, I did submit an entry.
  • Even though I had very limited experience with Aseprite, I managed to create some graphics (and some crude animation) using that tool.

What Could Have Gone Better

  • The 24 hour period where I “gave up” really put a dent in the time left when I decided to re-enter the compo. I wanted to add different minions and demons, each with a unique strength and weakness, but I ran out of time.

Conclusion

Looking through several of my other LD Post-Mortem posts, it looks like I fall into the same pattern where Day 2 is a bit discouraging, but I always manage to find a way to improve and finish.

This Ludum Dare was no different, but the lows were unprecedented for me; to a point where I walked away knowing I would not come back. If it were not for some encouragement from family, I would of packed it in and regretted the lack of submitting a game for the first time. I am glad I went back and continued.

[divider]

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: