Ludum Dare 34 has come and gone, and while it is still fresh in my memory, I decided to put my thoughts down about the development of Retro Rebound Challenge in this blog.
After the theme was announced, I spent about an hour hashing ideas around, and decided on a “throw a ball in a cup” game that eventually morphed into a pong-like game. Keeping it simple was the key… the theme was 2 button controls, and a retro pong game should use retro graphics, so the paddle, ball, and brick images, as well as the sound effects were a simple design that I feel worked well.
What went well
- Since it was my first Ludum Dare, and my first time actually using Unity to finish a project, I really didn’t know what to expect other than it was a very good possibility that I would not get anything released at all. I did get a playable game out!
- Saturday morning I got up and thought that perhaps I should start over with a new idea, since I wasn’t happy with the progress. I decided to stick with it, and it came out better than I thought it would.
- I am glad I added a level select feature. This is great for my testing, and for rating my game. The game adds complexity as you play, and I don’t expect a reviewer to play all the way through.
What Didn’t Go Well
- For some reason, it took several hours to get the ball to behave correctly. Guess I need to refresher in Unity physics settings. Looking at it now, it seems easy enough, but it was very frustrating at the time.
- I wish I had time to fix a few minor issues (Don’t we all).
I accomplished what I set out to do… release something that is playable, and I exceeded my expectations. I think Retro Rebound Challenge came out better than I could imagine.
To conclude, I had a blast, and I look forward to the next Ludum Dare. Depending on responses, I may continue development, since I do have several ideas I would like to add.